Thursday, November 27, 2008

Plain and Simple

Plain and simple, I’m thankful for you, bug. I’m thankful for the gift of being your mom, for I know how easily it might not have been. I’m thankful for each breath you take, for I have watched machines breathe for you and longed for your lungs to mature. I’m thankful for each ounce you gain, for each ounce is a victory and one step stronger. I’m thankful for each hoarse cry, for I remember worrying that you might never speak. I’m thankful for each time I hold you, for I loved you through the glass for months. I’m thankful for your strength, courage, and resiliency, for I cannot imagine my life without you. And I’m thankful to you for reminding me that sorrow is an opportunity to experience tremendous joy. I have known no joy greater than being your mom. Thank you.

Oh, and I'm also thankful that Obama is going to be your President and that you sleep so well!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful love letter. And Zoe is so. freaking. cute. I can hardly stand it.

Unknown said...

me too marge. it is nice to be moved to tears by simple thanks.

Pam, aka Nana said...

Thank you Baby Obama for making my life so much richer too. Between you and your cousin Charlotte...well, I'm verklumpf...
Love, Nan

Charlotte said...

I'm thankful for that darling little smile!

Hope said...

So moving, because this is so honest and so loving and so vulnerable. I'm grateful, too.